Enhance your romantic getaway to Buffalo, NY with one of our bed and breakfast specials. Our secluded and quiet inn is perfect for romantic getaways in Western New York, whether you’re celebrating an anniversary, on your honeymoon retreat, or simply need an escape from reality.
Mother’s Day Dinner On Us
Book your mother, grandmother, or wife a Mother’s Day stay at Asa Ransom House on Sunday, May 14 and we will treat her to a complimentary dinner at our restaurant. Space is limited so book today!
Canadian Dollars at Par
Now through May 31, 2017. Book a room at the Bed & Breakfast rate and we accept the Canadian dollar at par. Book early, call us at 1-800-841-2340. Not available with any other special.
Marvelous March & April – Offered every March & April
Stay one evening … get a second evening complimentary. Choose from 10 rooms, nine with fireplace. Dinner required one night from regular dinner menu with over twenty selections. Full Country breakfast included on paid night. Book early for your choice of rooms. Rates are based on B&B. Any questions, please call for more details 716-759-2315 or 800-841-2340
Will You Be Our Valentine? Specials, Events, and Free Gifts for February, March, and April
We love our guests at Asa Ransom House and in honor of Valentine’s Day we are giving you a present. We also recognize that Valentine’s Day is only one day yet friends, family, and lovebirds share their fondness for each other every day. So, we have decided to present special treats to you, our guests and friends, from now until April.
Valentine’s Day Special
- We are sharing our love with a complimentary bottle of wine, chocolate-covered strawberries, and late check-out. Simply stay with us between Sunday, February 12 and Thursday, February 16 and mention the code LOVENEST when you call.
- Everyone likes something sweet at the end of their meal. We are making that something even sweeter by offering a complimentary dessert to share to couples who order two entrees at our restaurant. Offer valid on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from February 21 until March 2.
Second Night Free
- Stay at Asa Ransom House any night in March or April and we’ll pay for your second night. Advance reservations and dinner in the restaurant one evening required.
There is always so much to do in the Clarence and Buffalo area. Check out these events and activities while staying with us:
- Winter Blues Ice Crawl – Think bicycles are just for summer months? Think again. Enjoy drink specials at six different establishments accessible via bike (or walk or take the shuttle). The February 18 event will conclude with live music from 8-11pm. Tickets available online: discovermainstreet.org/2017/01/21/winter-blues-ice-crawl-latest-in-bike-friendly-pub-crawl-series/ Fat Tire Bike rentals are available through Tom’s Pro Bikes.
- Moon Over Buffalo – This hilarious play is being performed at the Lancaster Opera House the last two weekends in February. A Few Good Men, the Broadway hit popularized by the film, will be arriving the first two weekends in March. www.lancopera.org/
- The Ice at Canalside – There is something for everyone here. Rent ice skates or ice bikes, try your hand at curling, sample mulled cider and wine, witness public art installations, or go shopping across the street at the Shops at Harborcenter. Most of our rooms have fireplaces; curl up together after being out in the cold. www.canalsidebuffalo.com/visit-canalside/
- Tea at Asa Ransom House – Sip tea and nibble on scones, sandwiches, and sweets every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday afternoon at the inn. Be sure to make a reservation when you book your room.
- Live Music – Follow Discover Main Street Clarence (discovermainstreet.org/) to see where the bands are playing each week.
- Buffalo Sabres – It’s hockey season. Plan a visit for one of the multiple dates that the Sabres are in town. www.nhl.com/sabres/schedule/2016/ET/fullseason
- Buffalo Zoo – Tickets to the zoo are only $5 in February. Avoid the crowds and watch the animals play in the snow. buffalozoo.org/
- Buffalo and Erie County Botanical Gardens – The gardens are transformed with light during Lumagination (presented until February 21). Visit the Orchid Show February 25-26. Plus, the Aquatic Garden and Asian Rainforest just reopened after being closed for renovation. www.buffalogardens.com/
History of the Asa Ransom House, celebrating its 41st Anniversary
Asa Ransom House celebrated its 41st Anniversary this past Thanksgiving Day.
A little History. The Asa Ransom House has grown from two original guest rooms to ten today, with additions in 1975 and 1993 to the original 1853 structure. Asa Ransom was a silversmith plying his trade in the little fur trading post on the shores of Lake Erie (now Buffalo). In 1799, the Holland Land Company offered lots 10 miles apart in what is now Clarence, to “any proper man who would build and operate a tavern.” He erected a spacious two-story log house and tavern to house both his family and weary travelers. When completed this was the first so called hotel in what is now Erie County. The Indians of the area were delighted with the trinkets he fashioned and gave him the name “0-wis-ta-no-at-squo-nish,,” meaning “maker of silver.” Months after the completion of the tavern and log house the first white male child born on Holland Purchase arrived November 5, 1799.
In 1803 Asa Ransom finished the construction of his grist mill, the first in what is now Erie County. Settlers from all over Western New York came here to have their grain ground into flour. Up until this time the nearest gristmill was at Chippewa in Canada. The grain was ground by means of a water wheel. There was a much greater flow of water prior to the clearing of the forests. Down the stream in connection with the mill, Mr. Ransom operated a distillery. Any excess wheat that he purchased from the early settlers, was made into whiskey at the distillery, and in turn sold at his tavern.
In the early 1920’s, fire partially destroyed the mill. Mr. Ryley (owner at the time) had it restored but a short time later, it again burned and was never rebuilt. In our library, we have a picture history book that includes some very early pictures guests are welcome to view.
A special program our guests look forward to each year, is the “Marvelous March and April -Two for One”, Guest stay one night and the second night is complimentary, with the fire place rooms most popular!. Dinner is required one night, and many request a table by the wood burning fireplace in the dining room. Book early for your choice of rooms. View rooms on our new web site: http:www.asaransom. This special promotion must be booked with the Inn via email or 1-800-841-2340